Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Trip to the Farm

At the Farm

I know how very blessed my children are to have immediate family with a working farm, deep in rural Kentucky. I grew up on a farm so I know a lot of my early child hood experiences (a pony, as many horses as I could count around at all times, tractors and homegrown tomatoes, and lazy summer evenings with lightning bugs and fresh picked watermelon) are simply not a part of today's culture.

At the Farm


I love teaching my kids the things that my grandparents' taught me--picking only the reddest tomatoes and saving the green ones for later, holding your palm out flat to feed the horses to keep your hand from being nipped and of course, how to eat popsicles outside on the front porch, listening to the sounds of the life surrounding you. As much as I love our city, I can't help but feel that these experiences are vital. 

A Horse Of Course

No comments:

Post a Comment